Your Mason ID
Mason Card is your official university ID card and your key to life on campus! The Mason ID Card is the all-in-one card to access your Mason Money, meal plan, campus facilities, athletic events, and more. No need to carry cash when there’s so many benefits!
The first Mason ID is FREE. If treated properly, the card will last your entire stay at Mason.
$20 replacement fee for lost, damaged and stolen cards.
Do not puncture, laminate, or fold the Mason ID.
Mason IDs are not transferable. The Mason ID is for campus use and is intended to be used by the individual whose name and photo appears on the front of the card. Misuse is subject to judicial proceedings.
Students taking classes online and use the Virtual Mason ID in lieu of visiting the campus for a physical version. A photo can be uploaded electronically through the Online Mason Card Office.
Get the Mason ID Card at any campus from one of these locations.
|Fairfax Campus||Mason Card, MSN 5A5|
Sub 1, Room 1203
|SciTech Campus||University Life, MSN 3A2|
Beacon Hall, Room BE 1034
|Arlington Campus||Arlington Operations, MSN 5A7|
Van Metre Hall, Room 220
|Loudoun Campus||Suite 130|
21335 Signal Hill Plaza, MSN 1G9
Sterling, VA 20164
Your Mason ID Card comes with a lot of perks!
The Mason ID can be used for keyless entry into rooms, buildings, and resident halls.
Meal Plan & Mason Money
No need to carry cash! Purchase your breakfast, lunch, or dinner using the Mason ID to access Mason Money or Meal Plans.
Photo copying & computer lab printing
Both Mason IDs and Patron cards can be used for coping and printing. Patron cards can be purchased for $1 at any of the Card Management Centers located within each Library.
The Mason ID serves as a library card for George Mason University and the Washington Research Library Consortium:
University of DC, Catholic University, Marymount University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, American University, Gallaudet University, Howard University
Free Cue Bus Rides
Discounts and/or priority seating on specified EagleBank Arena events
Use of Field House
Check cashing at the Apple Credit Federal Union campus location
Extra Benefits for Full-time Students:
- Free entry into the Fairfax Aquatic & Fitness Center, the RAC, and Skyline Fitness
- 5 Free visits to the Prince William Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center
- Free admittance to specified Concert Hall performances
- Intramural Sports Participation
Extra Benefits for Faculty/Staff:
- Reduced rates at the Fairfax Aquatic & Fitness Center, Prince William Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center and Intercollegiate Athletic Events
- Advanced purchase notice and discounts for Concert Hall Performances
- 10% Discount on Mason Bookstore and Patriot Tech purchases (exceptions may apply)
- Apple Federal Credit Union Membership
- Faculty/Staff Meal Plan
To obtain your Mason ID:
- Students must be registered for the current semester.
- Faculty/Staff, contract employees, and affiliates must complete electronic approval hiring process.
- Have a form of picture ID (i. e… current driver’s license, military ID, Visa, Passport) to present before receiving your first Mason ID.
- Bring your G Number.
Picture ID Guideline:
- Sunglasses or other articles which obscure the face are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons (an eye patch, for example). In cases of medical necessity, a note from a health care provider must be presented before the picture can be taken. A replacement ID should be created as soon as the item is no longer required.
- Hats or other head coverings are acceptable only when required by religious beliefs, tenets, traditions or customs, and may not cover any portion of the applicant’s face. Another form of ID issued by a government or civil agency should be provided in support of the request. (Photographs of applicants wearing tribal, national costume, or other headgear not specifically religious in nature are not acceptable).
- The subject’s expression should be natural, with both eyes open. Side or angled views are NOT acceptable.
- Applicants must face forward with any distracting articles and objects out of view. The picture must be of the head and shoulders only with a white background.
- Any special requests for exceptions must be submitted to Mason Card in writing. Please include name, G Number, and address. Subject will be notified by mail of the University’s decision. Retakes at a subject’s request will be subject to the $20.00 replacement fee.
Electronic Photo Submission
Mason Card now accepts pictures electronically for Mason ID Cards. Pictures can be submitted to the Online Card Office or Mason Money app (available on Android and IOS). Click here for the process.
If your card is lost or stolen, contact Mason Card at (703) 993-1004. If after business hours, leave a voice mail requesting that your Mason ID be deactivated, clearly stating your name, G Number, and contact information. Then, log into the Online Card Office to freeze your Mason ID. This will prevent any unauthorized usage of Mason Money and meal plans. If you can't find your card, Mason Card will make your replacement for a $20 fee. Contact your office or building manager should your card be used for building access.
For a list of Mason Card hours and locations, check here.
Iris Digital Recognition System (IDRS)
To promote contactless and self-service entry into Ike’s and Southside, the Iris Digital Recognition System (IDRS) can be used with all meal plans. This system provides hygienic hands-free entry which does not require the Mason ID. Other forms of payment such as Mason Money, Freedom funds, Bonus funds, cash, and credit/debit are not compatible with Iris Recognition.
The IDRS uses a biometric device that hashes a photograph (creates a long string of random numbers/letters) of the iris pattern. There are two steps to the process: enrollment and recognition.
- Enrollment is completed at Mason Card. A digital photograph is taken of the iris pattern and an encrypted hash is created which cannot be reverse engineered back to the original photo. Only the digital representation is retained by Mason and is used to enter the dining halls.
- Recognition occurs upon entry to the dining hall. The IDRS verifies recognition of the individual against the saved hash, a green light appears which grants entry and charges a meal plan swipe.
During enrollment, please notify Mason Card of visual impairment, colored contacts, or ocular prothesis.
Further information can be obtained from Mason Card at firstname.lastname@example.org.